Apply to be a Felsman Fellow!
Open Fellowship Positions:
The Bernard Van Leer Foundation has generously funded 4 Fellowship positions in Peru and Brazil to focus on the care and protection of vulnerable children and youth. More detailed information about the host organizations and specific activities that Fellows will engage in will be added shortly.
- $20,000 stipend per Fellow, intended to cover all housing and living expenses for the year;
- health and emergency medical evacuation insurance;
- one round-trip plane ticket;
- assistance in finding housing;
- valuable, hands-on experience in the field working on child and youth protection issues.
1) complete the Fellowship from September 2014 – September 2015 and meet all programmatic deadlines;
2) be of service to your community organization as detailed in your mutually agreed upon MOU;
3) conduct a comprehensive research and/or documentary project in collaboration with your host organization;
4) write monthly reflection pieces and research updates for the Felsman website;
5) submit a final report to the Felsman Fellows Program and your host organization;
6) create and participate in an advocacy awareness-raising event on your project topic at the completion of the Fellowship.
To Be Considered, Applicants Must:
1) be a Duke University alumni, preferably from the Sanford School of Public Policy or the MFAEDA programs;
2) demonstrate a willingness to explore and develop new and dynamic approaches to caring for vulnerable children and youth through direct programming,
community-based participatory research (CBPR), and documentary methodologies;
3) be patient, proactive and resilient in the face of unexpected challenges;
4) possess the ability to take initiative and work independently, but also must work well in cooperation with others;
5) posses strong writing, communication, research and critical thinking skills;
**Sanford School PhD, MPP, and MIDP applicants, or those from disciplines other than MFAEDA, do not need specific documentary skills or training to apply,
however, MFAEDA applicants will be asked to demonstrate their documentary skills;
**Language proficiency in Spanish and/or Portuguese is preferred.
Please submit the following to our program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org :
1) completed General Information Form (download application below for form);
2) a statement of interest explaining your motivations for pursuing a Felsman Fellowship and how your academic, professional, documentary, and personal
experiences have prepared you to meet the challenges of this Fellowship (download application below for specific questions);
4) transcripts (if you have graduated within the last 5 years);
5) one letter of recommendation from a professor or supervisor who knows you well and can speak to the qualities you possess that will allow you to be a
successful Felsman Fellow;
**Documentary applicants are also asked to submit examples of their work.
You can access the full application and application materials by clicking the link below:
|File Size:||24 kb|
Application Deadline Extended for Policy Graduates:
June 13th, 2014
Sanford School of Public Policy * Box 90239 * Durham, NC 27708